SALMON AND VEGETABLES IN RED PEPPER SAUCE
Fresh Salmon 2 slices (about 1/4 lbs)
Lotus roots 1 to 2 oz
Fresh Shiitake Mushroom 4 pieces
String beans 5 pieces
Flour 1/3 cup
Seasonings for Sauce:
Japanese soup stock 1 cup
Vinegar 1/2 cup
Hakkaisan 2 table spoon
Honey 1/4 tea spoon
Soya sauce 1/2 table spoon
Salt 1/4 teaspoon
Red pepper 1 chopped piece or 1/4 teaspoon powder
Vegetable or nut oil for deep frying 1 cup
1. Slice the salmon into approx 1/2 x 1 x 1 inch pieces.
Sprinkle salt and leave it for 10 minutes.
2. Skin the lotus and slice in 1/4 inch thickness.
Soak the sliced lotus in a bowl of water with a drop of vinegar for 2 – 3 minutes and drain.
3. Cut ends of the string beans and then cut into 3 pieces.
4. Put all the seasonings into a pan and heat it with medium heat until salt dissolves and cool it. Do not bring it to boil to prevent vinegar evaporate.
5. Flour the salmon and deep fry at 350F until crispy.
6. Put crispy fried salmon pieces into the sauce while hot.
7. Lightly deep fry the vegetables in the same oil.
8. Soak the salmon and the vegetables in the sauce for about 10 minutes before serving
* Vegetables can be alternated to your choice.
* Variations can be with other fish instead of salmon.